Open Top Filter System
moval of filter cake through atmospheric back rinse.
ProFilco introduces the “open top” filter vessel. Membrane filtration at low pressure and cake release at “no pressure” open the way to a simplified operation and design:
- “Open view” on filtered brine
- Easy monitoring of filters
- Direct identification of faulty candles and leak detection
- Installation of candles without heavy lifting equipment
- No compressed air for backpulse required
The compartment for the raw brine is covered by a tube sheet from which the filter candles are suspended. The filtered brine is collected in the open compartment above the tube sheet, from where it runs off through the discharge pipe.
For its “Tefflux®” multiple tube filter candles, ProFilco uses its monolithic, seamless porous PTFE membrane of 15 mm diameter.
These filter candles have many advantages, and one of them is that its smooth surface enables a very easy release of the filter cake. The release of the filter cake starts with depressurizing of the filter vessel, which allows the filtered brine accumulated above the tube sheet to flow back, through the membrane. The liquid film that is created between the membrane surface and the filter cake causes the cake to be rinsed from the candle. The hydrostatic pressure is sufficient to start this back flush; a pressurized back pulse by additional compressed air or nitrogen is not required.
This phenomenon allows a substantial simplification of the filter system. Where the actual filtration process with these
filter candles is already performed at low pressure, and also the releasing of the filter cake does not require additional pressure,
there is no need to house these filter candles inside a 10 bar pressure vessel.
Simplified operation and maintenance.
- The “open top” filter vessel allows a view on the filtered brine, exiting the filter candles.
- This enables direct monitoring the filter performance.
- The candles are introduced one by one and fitted to the tube sheet from above.